Pinnacle Studio workspace.
Pinnacle Systems (owned by AVID) offers consumer video editing and capturing software that’s effective and easy to use. The most popular consumer video editing software is Pinnacle Studio, a simple yet powerful tool that lets you create great video projects with music, titles, transitions and effects. There are many Studio tutorials available (see Resources), but there are some basic steps to get you started.
Editing With Pinnacle
1. Capture your video footage into Pinnacle Studio, by camcorder (videotape or video source), data disc or memory card or video DVD. Clicking the “Capture” tab brings up three separate screens to guide you through the import process.
2. Drag video clips, music and sound effects into the Timeline or Storyboard. Press the space bar or the play button on the video monitor to play your video.
3. Trim the clip by hovering your mouse over the left or right edge to reveal an arrow. Left-click and drag the clip to change the duration. You can also split a clip using the razor blade tool on the right side of the Timeline.
4. Left-click your mouse on the audio line to adjust the volume. When you release the mouse it leaves an adjustment handle. Making several handles allows you to move the volume up and then down in specific parts of the clip.
5. Double-click the title tab to open the title tool. Select a theme, alter the font style, color and size and then double-click or drag your title to the title layer. Titles can be used by themselves or as a transparency over video. Double-clicking a title or theme in the Timeline will bring up tools to change attributes.
6. Click the “Show Transitions” tab to add transitions and effects. Put transitions “in between” and effects “on top of” the clips. Transitions shorten each clip slightly, so if you have edited your video to music, you may have to lengthen the clip again to match the beat.
7. Export your movie to disc (DVD, Blu-ray or CD), a file format for your hard drive, videotape or the Web. Each section has a how-to menu to guide you through the process.