Home-based video editing can be a fun and rewarding business.
Video and audio editing business is a booming industry since the advent of digital video cameras and audio recorders of both consumer and professional quality. When setting up a digital editing business for either digital video or digital audio, a computer with sufficient resources must be employed along with professional-grade editing software. The computer and software are the core parts of any successful video editing business and must be capable of creating an original Digital Video Disc.
1. Find a suitable computer capable of smooth video and audio editing, whether an Apple or a PC system, with a video card that permits the connection of both a high quality computer monitor as well as a standard high-definition consumer television for performing color correction. Colors appear with slightly different hues on a television compared to a computer monitor.
2. Compare prices and features of the highest-end non-linear digital video editing software that you can afford that will meet your video and audio editing needs. The most common for PC systems are Adobe Premiere, Avid, and Sony Vegas Pro. For Apple systems, the most common are Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere.
3. Connect the audio mixer to the sound input jack on the computer and then connect two or more studio microphones to the mixer for recording vocals (voiceovers) for the video as it is being edited. Good microphones for such a purpose would be the Roland DR80C, Shure KSM 44, Neumann TLM103, or the Sennheiser MKH 8020. For mixers, suitable units include the Mackie Onyx series, Behringer Xenyx series, or any of the higher-end Yamaha models.
4. Connect an HDTV to the appropriate output jack on the computer system and turn the television on just before actually installing your chosen audio/video editing software package so it is detected during installation.
5. Install the chosen editing software package onto the computer and follow all interactive prompts.
6. Experiment with both the video editing timeline and the audio editing features of your chosen software package to learn all of the available effects, color correction features, audio and video cut/edit/splice features and special effects. Learn to operate the software well.
7. Offer to provide services for free at several weddings, school events, graduations and similar events that otherwise wouldn’t be videotaped so you can become familiar with operation of your chosen digital video camera. Make it a fun process for all involved, as people will always remember a positive environment.
8. Contact your local government administrative office and ask where you can register a fictitious name for your business, also known as a DBA (Doing Business As) if you intend to operate your business under a name other than your own.
9. Check with your county and state government offices to see if you are required to charge sales tax on service-related businesses, and if a business permit is needed to operate in the way you desire. If so, file and pay the necessary fees for these permits before charging for any services.