Make your own video game covers.
Whether you’ve bought used games without proper covers or simply want to design your own version, creating custom video game covers is a simple yet satisfying process. You’ll be able to spice up bland cover art, and give it a dose of visual flair that matches your personality.
1. Load up your photo editing software of choice. A couple of options include Adobe Photoshop or CorelDRAW. Open a new project.
2. Set your canvas size. Most games (e.g. games for Nintendo Wii and Xbox 360) come in a standard DVD size case. When designing covers for these systems, set your canvas to 27.4 cm x 18.2 cm. For Playstation 3 covers, set your canvas dimensions to 26.9 cm x 14.9 cm.
3. Set guides to simulate the creases in the cover. For Xbox and Wii games, drag a guide from the left side of the canvas to the 13 cm and 14.5 cm measurements. For Playstation, set the guides at 12.9 cm and 14 cm. This area is the spine, and contains the title of the game.
4. Design your custom video game cover. Draw from visual elements like the Internet, magazines and photos to create your cover. Also include important information, such as a summary of the game, critic quotes, developer and publisher logos and the game’s rating. You may want to use screenshots from the game in your design.
5. Print your cover. When printing your cover, make sure you print at 100% (without any scaling) and at 300 dpi, or dots per inch. Glossy or matte paper can be used to give your cover a more professional look. Wait for the ink to dry before placing your cover in an empty case.