With the help of powerful video editing tools available free online, editing your AVI (Audio Video Interleave) files is simple. Without the need to read through thick manuals, follow lengthy tutorials or pay for program packed with a lot of features you might not use, you can speed up your AVIs, slow them down, add filters and effects or remove unwanted portions–it’s all up to you.
1. Download and install a copy of the video editing tool Avidemux from a trusted website. Open Avidemux after the installation process has completed.
2. Click on the “File” heading in the top left corner of Avidemux and select the “Open” option from the menu. Use the explorer window that appears to locate the AVI file on your computer that you’d like to edit, and then click “OK.”
3. Remove unwanted portions of the AVI by simply dragging the slider on the time line at the bottom of Avidemux to the point in the video where you’d like the edit to begin. Click the “Set marker A” button, denoted by an “A” icon, at the bottom of the program.
4. Drag the slider to the point on the time line where you’d like the edit to end, and then click on the “Set mark B” button–located next to the marker “A” button. Click on the “Edit” heading at the top of Avidemux, and select “Delete” from the menu to remove the unwanted portion.
5. Adjust the speed of your AVI by clicking on the “Video” heading at the top of Avidemux and selecting the “Frame rate” option from the drop down menu. Press the “up” or “down” button in the “Frame Rate” menu to increase or decrease the rate that the video’s frames will be displayed. Note, that frames won’t be dropped as with some video editing tools, they will either sped up or slowed, depending on the frame rate you choose.
6. Click on the “Video” heading and then select “Filters” to customize your AVI even further. Select a filter category, such as “Color,” “Interlacing” or “Noise,” and then choose a filter from the “Available filters” list–double-click on the filter to activate it. You can click on the “Preview” button in the bottom right corner of the “Video Filter Manager” to test the filter before applying it.
7. Undo your work by clicking on the “Edit” heading at the top of Avidemux’s main menu, and then selecting “Reset edits.”
8. Save an unfinished project by clicking on the “File” heading and selecting the “Save Project” option. Save the edited version of your AVI by choosing the “Save Video” option (File > Save > Save Video).