Edit a Quicktime Video
Apple’s Quicktime Pro application is a useful software tool that allows users to playback different kinds of video files. The application also serves as a rudimentary editing tool, which can be used to make simple edits of a video.
1. Launch the Quicktime Pro application and open the video that you would like to edit.
2. Determine what parts of the video you want to keep and what parts you’d like to cut out.
3. To cut out a part of the video, click and drag the playhead to the beginning point of the part you want to delete. Then click the “I” button. Now, drag the playhead to the end part of the clip that you want to delete. Click “O.” This will set an “in-point” and an “out-point.” To delete this part of the clip, click the “Delete” button on your keyboard.
4. To take a part of the clip and place it in another part of the clip, mark the in and out points just like in Step 3. Click “Edit,” “Cut” in the application bar. Then, drag the playhead to the point in the clip where you want to place it and click “Edit,” “Paste.”
5. To export your edited product, click “File,” “Export” in the application bar. You will be presented with several options. In the “Export:” drop down box, choose “Movie to Quicktime Movie,” unless there is another format in which you would like to export your video. Your other export format choices will include MPEG-4 and AVI. Type the name of the file in the “Save As:” box and select the directory where you would like to save the file. Finally, to export it, click the “Save” button.