Download video directly from your digital video camera so you can edit and process it.
The Canon XL1 is a high-end digital video camera that records onto a miniDV tape. Although the video camera does not record in high definition, the image quality is still superb. However, because the audio/video is captured onto a tape, you must use a video editing program installed on the computer to import the data onto the computer system.
1. Connect the firewire cable to the firewire port on the back of the Canon XL1. Insert the opposite end of the cable into the firewire port on the computer system.
2. Power on the Canon XL1 and set it to Playback mode.
3. Open the video editing program installed on the computer. You do not need any special program installed; Windows Movie Maker can perform the download job.
4. Choose the “Capture” option, then select the Canon XL1 as the device you want to import form. Click “Record,” and the video editor will automatically begin to download the video from the Canon XL1. Click “Stop” when you want to stop the recording. The downloaded video file automatically appears as a thumbnail on the right side of the screen.
5. Click and drag the thumbnail file down to the timeline at the bottom of the screen, then click “File” and “Save Movie As.” This loads a browse window onto the monitor. Title the video, select a location to save the file to and click “OK” to save the newly downloaded video file.