Wii Ware files are games and software directly stored into the built-in hard drive on the console. Instead of downloading all the Wii Ware software from the Wii Shop Channel, users can download content through various websites. If the content is from another country like Europe and is encoded as PAL, it will not work properly on a U.S. system. The “Free the Wad” application removes any country restrictions and allows players to convert the WADs to NTSC.
1. Down the official “Free the Wad” software from Wii-DS Scene (see References). The small file size should complete downloading within a minute. Save the file to your desktop.
2. Double-click on the “Free the Wads” folder. Double click on the “Free the WADs” application link and wait for the software to load.
3. Drag and drop the “freethewads” process icon from the folder into the Free the WADs application screen .
4. Press the Spacebar key once. Drag and drop the Wii PAL WAD file into the screen.
5. Press the “Enter” button on the keyboard. Wait for the WAD to process. When a success message appears, exit out of the command box. Repeat these steps for any other WAD files you want to convert.