FLV files are Flash video files that contain all of the video and audio information needed to create a flash movie. Due to their compact sizes, FLV files are regularly used for the animated sequences built into websites. Though FLV files are widely compatible with media players, they are not recognized in some video-editing softwares. If you would like to edit the video in an FLV file in a video-editing software that doesn’t recognize FLV, you can convert the FLV file into a standard video file type, such as MOV.
1. Open Media-Convert. This online file conversion site can convert Flash video files to several types of movie files, including MOV.
2. Add the FLV file to the Media-Convert online converter. Beside “File,” there is a “Browse” button. When you click the “Browse” button, a search window will pop up. Browse for the FLV file on your hard drive, select it and click “Open.”
3. Choose the MOV output format. To select this format, pick the “No video preset” option in the first “Output format” box and pick “Apple QuickTime (.mov)” in the second box.
4. Change the name of the MOV file. You can type a name next to “Rename file to,” which is located in “Advanced settings.” If you do not type a name for the MOV, it will be given the same name as the FLV file.
5. Begin the file conversion. This is done by clicking the blue “OK” button to the right of the screen. When the conversion begins, a box will come up on the screen to track the conversion. As soon as the MOV file is created, a link will appear on the screen. If you click on this link, you will be given an option to save the file to your computer.