Convert the video files.
An .mkv is a Matroska open-source file. It is comparable to .AVI video files. However, most video editing programs and media players do not accept the .mkv file. If you want to play your Matroska files on your computer, you will likely need to convert the file to a more universal video file, such as .AVI. Several different video converter programs on the web can help you to do this.
1. Open your Internet browser and navigate to a site such as “MKVAVI.com,” “MKVtoAVI.biz” or “MKVtoAVIConverter.net.” These are three different sites that provide similar video converters, all of which convert .mkv video files to .AVI.
2. Download one of the video converter programs, then double-click the downloaded file to launch the installation wizard. Once open, follow the prompts given by the installation wizard and install the software.
3. Launch the newly installed video converter on your computer. Click and drag the .mkv video files you want to convert into the main display window of the program.
4. Select an output location to which you want the converted files to be saved.
5. Select “.AVI” as the output format, then click “Convert.” The .mkv file is now converted into an .AVI file.