View MP4 files on most hand-held video players.
If you decrypted the video from a VCD and you’d like to watch the film on a hand-held video player or upload the video to the Internet, convert the DAT files to MP4 with free software. According to the website WMA-MP3, the file abbreviation MP4 stands for MPEG-4 Part 14 and contains audio and video information as well as still images. With MP4 video, you can view VCD movies on a mobile device with a number of video resolution options.
Free MP4-Converting Software
1. Download and install the MP4-converting freeware from Freemake (see Resources). Click the “Start” menu and “Freemake Video Converter” to run the program.
2. Click the “Video” button in the upper left corner of the window to search for a DAT file. Double-click the file to load it in the video editor. Click “to MP4” at the bottom of the window.
3. Click the menu under “Preset.” Drag the mouse to your choice of video resolution, from “iPod Classic/Nano (320×240)” to “Digital Media Player (1920×1080).” Click the blue button under the menu to choose where you want to save your MP4 video. Click “Convert.”
Extensions for Windows Converting Software
4. Download and install the free Windows-integrated software from Extensoft (see Resources). Click the “Start” menu and “Free Video Converter” to run the software.
5. Click “Add Video Clip.” Search your hard drive for the DAT file you want to add, and double-click the file to load it in the video-editing time line. Click the “Export” tab at the top of the software window.
6. Click the “Profile” menu, and choose a video resolution for your file, from “iPod (320×240)” to “HDTV 1080p.” Click the “Format” menu, and choose “MPEG4” from the drop-down list.
7. Click “Convert” to open a pop-up menu. Choose the hard drive folder where you want to save your MP4 video, and double-click the folder. Click “OK” to convert and save the video.
8. Download and install the freeware converter from Koyote Soft (see Resources). Click the “Start” menu and “Free Video Converter” to launch the program.
9. Click “Add Files” in the top-left corner of the software window. Find your DAT files, and click “OK” to add the files to the program. Check the box next to each file you want to convert in the main window.
10. Click “Output Format” in the software panel at the bottom of the screen. Click “MP4” if you’re converting your file for a mobile phone or music player, or click “iPod,” “iPhone” or “iPad” if you’re converting for one of these devices. Click “Convert Video” at the top of the screen.