Editing The Joomla Footer
One of the most commonly requested changes to an installation of the Joomla content management system is change the footer information or delete it altogether. As Joomla is freely offered under the GPL License, you can edit or remove the copyright information as long as the information remains within the platform’s php source code. This article assumes that you are using a default installation of Joomla version 1.5.15 with the default template rhuk_milkyway. Please note that if you implement a different template into your Joomla installation, the paths described in this article will change where appropriate.
Changing the “Powered by” Footer
1. Download a copy of your index.php file from your templatesrhuk_milkyway directory to your local system and make a backup copy. Open the original file with Notepad or your favorite editor and locate the following text starting at around line 158:
2. Remove the “Powered by,” “Valid,” or “and” text, simply by deleting the text between the single quotes leaving only (‘ ‘) and save the file. Do not delete any code as you may decide at a later date that you would like to put some text in this area.
3. To retain the link functionality and change only the text and link destination, we can use eHow as an example of a different link by changing Joomla! to eHow and saving the file.
4. To delete the link functionality permanently, delete one or more of the default links by simply removing the encompassing code and text Joomla! altogether.
5. Upload your new index.php file and check your results.
Changing the Copyright Footer
6. Download a copy of your en-GB.mod_footer.ini file located in the languageen-GB directory to your local system and make a back up copy of it. Open the original file and locate the following text:
FOOTER_LINE1=Copyright © %date% %sitename%. All Rights Reserved.
FOOTER_LINE2=Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU/GPL License.
7. To remove all traces of the copyright information, delete all of the text and code to resemble the lines below. Save the file and upload it to your website.
8. To edit the copyright information, examine the FOOTER_LINE1 code closely. To remove the “Copyright” text and its symbol, simply remove the following: Copyright ©. To remove the date or site name, remove the percent signs and appropriate corresponding text. For example, remove the date by deleting %date%.
9. Similar to the edits described in “Powered By” footer instructions, refer to line FOOTER_LINE2= and change the text and link destination to what and where you desire. Often, the original code is changed to point to back to your website similar to Your Website.